Flat, thin hair is every girls’ worst nightmare and unfortunately for some, they are not blessed with the God-sent locks of volume and thickness. Whether our flat hair is natural or because of damaged and falling out hair, we all want to know the secret to instant volume. Here are a few tips that can get you started.
- First and foremost, let’s start with the core problem which is unhealthy hair. If hair is not taken care of correctly, it can lose its thickness, amongst other things, and be very lifeless. It is important to nourish your hair regularly and use a volume-building shampoo and conditioner.
- The most popular trick for an instant lift is by teasing the hair. This was a new trend back in the 60’s and definitely seemed to have stuck around. All you have to do is take a teasing comb and back-brush the roots to create a hump under the hair. After teasing to your desire, gently even out the top part, and there you have it!
- For the busy bees, here is a quick method that will take you only minutes. Blow dry your damp hair upside down to boost your hair. Your roots will be made to stand upwards instead of falling flat on your scalp. Furthermore, you can use a large round brush to blow dry the roots outwards using a nozzle hair dryer for more accuracy and to create even more volume.
- Dry shampoo is a must-have for those of you whose hair is flat mostly due to an oily scalp. Dry shampoo works like a powder that you apply to your scalp which sucks all the oil out of it so that there’s nothing weighing your hair down. It is preferably used the day after shampooing when all the oils build up.
- If you’re looking for a stylish but less damaging method to create volume, then rollers are the choice for you. Rollers are designed to lift your roots while smoothing and styling the rest of your hair. It gives you that perfect bombshell look that you can easily get at home with minimum damage and expense. After applying the rollers to your hair, just sit and let it air dry, or use a dryer on minimum heat.
- Getting bored of the same look? Switch it up by changing your hair part to the opposite side. This will give you instant volume at the top of your hair. You can even go the extra mile and cut your hair shorter. Shorter hair usually looks more voluminous and a fresh cut will free you of split-ends and give your hair a bounce that will make it look fuller. The best part about this is that it is so easy to do.
- If you don’t want to spend much time and effort every single day and would rather find a permanent fix, then consider highlighting your hair. This will give your hair dimension and make it appear as if fuller while looking trendy. Of course, this can be costlier but your hair is worth every penny, isn’t it?
- Use volumizing products in your hair in addition to your shampoo and conditioner. Products like hair cream, hair masks, oils or gels that are formulated to thicken hair strands can give your hair a more long-term effect. It is crazy the difference a good quality product can make on your hair, and even if it takes longer to see results than the other methods, your future-self will thank you greatly for it.
- Massage your scalp every night to get the blood flowing to your roots, making them stronger and causing more hair to grow. You can even do this using coconut oil for faster results. Just make sure to be consistent if you want to see a difference.
- Last but not least, eat your greens! Sometimes the problem could be from within, meaning that your diet could be the cause of hair loss and thinning hair. It is so important to eat your vegetables and have a nutritious diet to maintain healthy hair from the root factor. For expert opinions, talk to a dietitian and make sure to follow the suggested routine and this could work wonders for your overall hair volume.
- Priyanka Ghura, Quick Hair Tips: Increase Hair Volume In 20 Seconds!
- Lesley Reynolds, Turn up the volume for great hair, Sep 5, 2013
- Ruchika Teltumbade, 4 Proven Ways To Increase Hair Volume, 06 Sep 17