Yes- If you are using the hair dryer improperly.
No- If you are using your hair dryer in the correct way.
You see that the answer can be either yes or no. Generally, heat is bad for your hair. Heat damages the hair, destroys the natural moisture of the hair, it reduces the brightness of the hair, the texture is ruined and it burns the hair as well. So, the usual answer to the question would be, hair dryer damages the hair! But you would be surprised to know that, if you use the hair dryer properly, the hair dryer might be a savior for your hair.
If you are not using a hair-dryer, you are definitely air-drying your hair, right? Did you ever think what happens to your hair if you air-dry it? Scientifically, it is not a good solution to dry your hair naturally. Why? Because, when you let your hair dry by itself, it means that you need to wait a long time to get your hair dry. This means that your scalp remains wet for a longer time. This, in turn, speeds up the bacteria accumulation process and weakens the scalp. The process generates bacteria and fungus and ruins the structure of the roots and the hair. Surprising, right? Air-drying might kill your hair from the roots by damaging the internal structure of your hair strands.
Compared to air-drying, hair-dryer actually SAVES your hair. Yes, it does a little damage but that is very less compared to air-drying. Even the little damage can be reduced by following proper procedure to use the hair-dryer. Just follow the guidelines written below, and you will be good to go!
- Keep the temperature of the hair-dryer below 45 degrees. A temperature over this limit will dehydrate and burn your hair. You definitely do not want that to happen!
- Do not use the dryer in a static way, keep on moving it. Otherwise, concentrated heat might burn your hair.
- Keep a moderate distance between your hair and the dryer. The minimum distance should be 15cm. And also, never let your dryer touch your hair or brush while drying.
- Use heat protectant gels and sprays. But keep in mind that too much of these products might affect negatively, as these contain alcohol.
- Do not ignore the flattened nozzle that comes with your hair-dryer. These are diffusers.
- De-tangle your hair before using the hair-dryer. Blow-drying tangled hair might result in breakage.
- Please, use improved technology hair-dryers with functions like cool shot button, ceramic technology, ionic technology, safety plug etc.
- Do not blow dry for too long. One section should not be dried for more than one minute.
So, these are some tips for you while using a hair-dryer. Hair-dryer is not a killer for your hair. It rather saves your hair from internal damages.
Hair-dryers impose direct heat on your hair, however, if you use your hair-dryer carefully, it will give your hair a new life! So, do not be afraid of using hair-dryers. Just go for this styling tool, you will not regret. Share this knowledge with your friends and break the myth!
- Marie Claire, This is why you should never use the hair dryer in your hotel room, August 4, 2017
- MailOnline, The science of drying your hair, by a Cambridge academic who has dedicated his life to studying it, 2 November 2017
- Tricoci University, Secrets To A Perfect Blow Dry, September 12th, 2014