Frizzy or curly haired women are seen to be distressed for their hair problems. Blow drying hair is required in this busy schedule for everyone. But if your hair gets frizzy after every blow drying session then! Yes, curly haired people are offended with frizz and over curled hair after blow drying. But that doesn’t mean you’ll run out of fashion.
So what’s the solution! The magic device that chops down all the troubles of curly hair is Diffuser. Rather drying your hair in high airflow with a blow dryer, settle on a diffuser and keep your hair less frizzy and smooth.
Now, you might be thinking how diffuser will lessen the frizz and damage. The diffuser is a device when attached to a dryer; it disperses the excessive airflow of the dryer and provides an adequate amount of hot air only. Where extreme airflow makes hair dry, adequate airflow will lock the natural moisture besides drying hair.
Step by step Curly Hair drying with a Diffuser
Now that we know that it all takes a diffuser to maintain curly hair from getting frizzed, we will learn the proper way to diffuser-drying your hair. Let’s begin!
Condition your Hair
- When you shower, keep in memory that you should use glycerin or sulfate-free shampoo. After shampooing, the most imperative thing you got to do is conditioning. Conditioning helps your hair get smoother and when it’s smooth it’s frizz-free.
- For conditioning, your hair, all you have to do is take sections of your hair and massage the conditioner into your hair from the roots to the ends. Keep in mind that while conditioning, do not massage the conditioner on your scalp because conditioner makes your hair soft and if you massage it on your scalp you may face hair fall. Keep the conditioner out of the scalp and utilize it more on the end of your locks.
- If you are a woman with curly and excessive frizzy hair, protein conditioner may help you in this case. After applying conditioner leave it for some minutes. Severe frizzy hair may require more time than less frizzy hair. Accordingly, rinse out it thoroughly. Try to use cool water while washing because cool water does not create any friction and it helps your hair stay straight.
Get your Diffuser Ready
- Now that you have done your conditioning process, you have to squeeze the extra water from the hair. Turn over the hair and flip it upside down to squeeze the water. Do not twist or wring the hair, squeeze it with your hands. Twisting will result in curlier locks. When you do towel dry, your hair may frizz up more because it separates your hair.
- This is an optional section of diffuser drying method. If you have hair that is too much dry and frizzy, this segment of applying leave-in conditioner possibly will help you. Section your hair, take some leave-in conditioner and rub it in between your palm. Then gently massage it all over your curls. Do not use any leave-in conditioner when your hair is totally dry rather apply it when your hair is a little wet so that the conditioner mixes up properly.
- Now you have to get your diffuser prepared. Most of the top rated brands usually provide diffuser attachment with their hairdryer. You can select any blow dryer with a diffuser attachment or if you do not want to purchase another dryer then you can shop single diffuser available in the market. Go for any universal diffuser but make sure that it adjusts appropriately with your dryer.
Exercise the Diffuser
- Here comes your diffuser drying process. To begin with, you have to flip your hair upside down because heavy curls make your root look flatten. As you need volume in the roots goes for upside down position. You can also settle on hair clips to lift up the roots of your hair. Go for claw clips and you can dry your hair in this position keeping the clips attached. Separate the hair into two or three sections.
- Now turn the diffuser on and set the temperature settings to High heat settings may make your hair look frizzier, so choose the LOW or MEDIUM heat setting. Now hold the dryer facing the comb face of the diffuser (the bowl-shaped diffuser should point toward the ceiling.)
- Now take a section of curls and lay them in the bowl of your diffuser. You just have to drop your hair into the diffuser. Ensure that you should not bunch it up or push the hair inside the diffuser. No matter what, you have to pay attention and be careful about your hair.
- When the hair section is laying over the diffuser, try to lift the dryer up till it can touch your roots. Do not let it touch your scalp rather you have to keep it near the roots so that the diffuser air can dry your roots. Now you have to hold the diffuser at that position and wait for some seconds. If you want a little bit volume on the roots, move the diffuser in a circular or spherical motion (it also lets your hair dry fast.)
- As soon as you will see that your hair is dry, lower the diffuser. Let your hair fall down from the bowl of the diffuser. Continue the process till your whole hair is dried up.
Commit to memory that you should not hold the diffuser too much time as it will make your hair frizzier. And avoid over-drying hair to keep your hair smooth. Apply hair gel to keep away frizz and hairspray to keep the hairstyle for long period.
People have already known why diffuser drying is better than air drying. All you need to do is be careful about the dryer and diffuser quality. All things settle with a modest practice and slight patience.
If you follow the appropriate rules and guidelines accurately then you will get smoother hair instead of frizzy curled hair. The more you practice, the more it gets perfect when it comes to using a diffuser.
- Kalista Salon, Hair Dryer Guide: How to Use a Diffuser?
- Gabriella Garcia, Best Diffuser for Curly Hair 2018 – Buyer’s Guide and Reviews, March 1, 2018
- Megan Giannini, 9 Tips for Using a Diffuser on Curly Hair , 07.09.13