Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair looks gorgeous when it is healthy and strong! Sadly, people with this type of hair suffer different problems in different seasons thus keeping it healthy is very challenging!
Too much fun in the Sun and your hair will become dry and rough. A little rain and wind and you will end up with frizzy and poufy hair and in the winter, you will most probably shed dandruff like the snowflakes.
So, here we have a simple and affordable DIY deep conditioning method that takes about 40 to 45 minutes only and keeps your hair healthy in all the seasons!
If you follow this method 2 times a week you can flaunt your gorgeous and natural healthy hair always and don’t have to keep your hair hidden under a cap or restrained into braids anymore!
Classification of the Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro Hair
It has many different names but type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair is undoubtedly the most sensitive hair and it is subdivided into
- 4.a – Well defined tightly coiled curls, coarse and frizzy
- 4.b – Well defined corkscrew curls, more volume and very frizzy
- 4.c – Z shaped curls, delicate and fluffy, shrinks when wet, prone to damage
Why use a hair dryer to deep condition Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair?
Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair takes a lot of time to dry on its own. It won’t look neat or dry evenly without using a hairdryer, flat iron or the curling iron!
However, regularly using any kind of heat tool is highly damaging! Even an ordinary hairdryer which is the least damaging amongst these heat tools will turn your stunning hair into a lifeless tumbleweed.
Using a professional standard tourmaline-ionic hairdryer helps to dry hair faster without damage. In fact, it restores and hydrates the already damaged hair too!
So we thought using this gentle heat to create a sauna-like environment that makes the deep conditioning cream penetrate your hair follicles faster and evenly.
It will save you time, money and energy and you will automatically stop making excuses for not deep conditioning because, besides your hair, you are also going to enjoy this deep conditioning session a lot.
Should you deep condition overnight instead?
We don’t recommend overnight deep conditioning for Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair because it’s not the best choice for them but we absolutely forbid Type: 4c from doing it because their hair is too delicate.
Due to the spring-like coiled hair shapes and a large volume of hair, the deep conditioning cream will not distribute evenly on 4a and 4b type hair without heat tools.
However, type 4c, the z-shaped hair is too fragile to handle overnight deep conditioning!
If you soak your type 4c hair for that long it will become weaker especially if you wrap it with a heavy towel. The weight of the towel will simply break or pull your hair out. So, avoid overnight deep conditioning for type 4c hair.
For all the type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair, what you need is uniform tourmaline-ionic gentle heat so the deep conditioning cream can infiltrate the hair follicles for the best result.
A turban won’t keep the temperature uniformly steady and will most likely soak away the deep conditioning cream instead of helping the cream to get into the follicles of the type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair!
That towel may save your pillows from the stains but will destroy your good night sleep making you restless, uncomfortable and itchy, giving you dark circles and headache the next morning.
The oil getting on to your face from the towel may also cause acne breakouts! So save the sleeping time and follow our quick and healthy way of deep conditioning without suffering all night long.
The economic solution: Use an ionic hair dryer for Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair with a soft bonnet accessory
We recommend the Remington D3190A Damage Control Ceramic Hair Dryer, Ionic Dryer, Hair Dryer, Purple along with the Hair Flair New and Improved Deluxe Softhood Bonnet Hair Dryer Accessory.
With these two tools combined together, your deep conditioning session will be fully complete within 40 to 45 minutes only!
This dryer emits 3 times more hydrating Micro-Conditioners and protects your hair 3 times more than the other Remington hair dryers thus it will safely deep condition your hair without frying it!
This hair dryer is the best for deep conditioning because it is loaded with the negative ions to eliminate static, the ceramic-coated grill to generate infrared heat and tourmaline technology to protect the hair from getting damaged from overheating.
It has 3 Heat Settings + 2 Speed Settings and suitable to deep condition all the types of type: 4 Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hairs
It also comes with the diffuser and narrow air concentrator to straighten hair without flat ironing. Check the link below to learn how to straighten Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro Hair with the suggested hair dryer toolkit for you!
Hair Flair New and Improved Deluxe Softhood Bonnet Hair Dryer Accessory is an award-winning product that distributes the air of your own hair dryer uniformly and doesn’t allow the air to escape making the deep conditioning work faster and get the best result.
More than 120 holes of the soft bonnet accessory circulate the hot healthy hair evenly making the deep conditioning cream penetrate your hair follicles making your hair nourished, hydrated and ready for styling. With the same hair dryer, you can straighten your hair too!
The alternative solution
Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer, Purple with White Bonnet
This ionic soft bonnet dryer doesn’t damage your hair while blowing the hot air evenly creating a sauna-like environment suitable for deep conditioning.
This bonnet hair dryer is selected by the editors of many magazines and suits all the categories of Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair. You can put rollers and curl your hair with Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer after your deep conditioning is done too.
Things you need for deep conditioning the type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair
- A wide-toothed comb to detangle hair
- A rat-tail comb to make sections
- Hair mask
- Olive mayonnaise
- hair oils
- Small bowl, preferably made of ceramic or food grade plastic
- A teaspoon to measure and combine the oils together
- Either (Infiniti Pro hair dryer by Conair + Hair Flair New and Improved Deluxe Softhood Bonnet Hair Dryer Attachment) or (Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer)
- Your favorite playlist of soulful and soothing music
The products you will need to deep condition the type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair
Since both curly and Afro hair use the same products, click the link below for the recommended products
Step by step: Deep conditioning process for the Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair
Take the oils after measuring and don’t heat the oils if all are in the liquid form. If the coconut oil is solid just take it with the other oils in a small bowl and use the double boiler method to melt the oil and don’t microwave it directly.
Microwaving oil is risky and it destroys natural nutrients of the oils too. Pour boiling water into a separate bowl. Put the bowl with the oils on top of the bowl with the boiling water until the coconut oil melts. Stir gently until all the oils are evenly mixed.
Finally, fold in the olive mayonnaise and the deep conditioning cream is ready to apply on the head. After applying the deep conditioning cream following the direction is given below, just fit the hair dryer on the tube of the bonnet accessory and turn on the hair dryer at lowest heat. Relax and enjoy the uniform heat flow all over your head through the small vents of the bonnet.
- Wet your hair & use Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner to detangle hair easily
- Detangle your hair slowly from the ends going upwards
- Divide your head into 3 large sections on the top, middle and at the bottom
- Start making 1-inch sections at the bottom using the tail of a rat-tail comb
- Scoop deep conditioning cream you prepared and apply on the scalp in a circular motion
- Pull your coils straight with one hand & apply the deep conditioning cream with the other hand
- Go to the middle section and apply deep conditioning cream in smaller section as earlier
- Repeat the same process for the top part too
- With the fingertips massage the scalp in a circular motion to promote blood circulation
- Turn your head down & gently massage oil on the dryer ends and tresses
- Gently detangle your hair with your fingers again
- Now gently comb your hair 30 times to increase the blood circulation & distribute the cream evenly
- Put the soft bonnet attachment properly on your head so hot air doesn’t escape
- Keep the hairdryer on low as the heat can’t escape the hood, we want warmth but not extreme heat
- The ionic healthy moderate warmth will circulate through the holes of the bonnet
- Listen to soft relaxing music for 40 minutes and put cucumber slices on your eyes
- Avoid watching TV or using phones to give relaxations to your eyes and head
- Wash the hair with the suggested shampoo for the Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair
- Use the conditioner & the conditioning mask together and rinse well after 20 minutes
With a towel gently soak the excess water and now your deep conditioned hair will obey your every wish!
You may use either Xtava Ionic Blow Dryer Voluminous Toolkit +Hair Flair New and Improved Deluxe Softhood Bonnet Hair Dryer Attachment or Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer to create curls of your choice
Or you may use a flat-head paddle brush to dry hair or make your hair straight with a round brush with the Xtava Ionic Blow Dryer Voluminous Toolkit
Suggested products according to your hair type
The products for both the type: 3 – Curly hair and Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair are the same so please click the link below to see the suggested products for your specific types
The Simple list of to Do’s and Not to do’s for the Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro Hair
- Do the deep conditioning before washing hair or shampoo or minimum once a week
- Don’t use shampoo daily and use hydrating Argan oil on dry hair to control frizz
- Do deep conditioning in 40 minutes using a hairdryer with soft bonnet accessory for the spa effect
- Don’t let overnight deep conditioning keep you awake with a heavy turban pulling your hair
- Do deep conditioning and wash hair using suggested shampoo for the best result for Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair
- Don’t use the conditioner with sulfate and use the recommended conditioner and conditioning mask after shampoo
Type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/ Afro hair is very hard to handle without proper deep conditioning. Just using a leave-in conditioner after the shampoo is not enough but who has the time to deep condition even once a week?
But now you have this deep conditioning method that takes just about 40 minutes for the thickest type: 4 – Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro hair so don’t make excuses anymore! This deep conditioning regime will make people compliment your hair from the first application!
- How To Deep Condition Straight Hair (Type: 1)
- How To Deep Condition Wavy Hair (Type: 2)
- How To Deep Condition Curly Hair (Type: 3)
- Renee Price, What is Deep Conditioning?
- Alexa T. DosReis, Conditioning Treatments
- Jessica Cruel, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Your Hair Type, 18 March 2018
- naturally smitten™, Type 4 Hair