The phenomenally thick and voluminous type: 3 – curly hair is not very easily damaged. However, it’s very challenging to tame this hair without high heat and hair products even for the professionals!
Thus, besides regular conditioning, you need deep conditioning at least 2 times a week but nobody has that much time!
DIY deep conditioning is time-consuming and salon treatments are costly so often curly hair gets executed due to the excuses of not having enough time or money or energy to do a DIY deep conditioning on their own.
So here we are with a fast & flawless 40 minutes deep conditioning system! No more you have to suffer the wrath of the mighty frightening damaged mane of type: 3 – Curly hair.
Classification of the Curly Hair
The deep conditioning oils and masks will be picked according to your hair type. Curly hair is categorized as the Type: 3 – Curly hair. It is again subdivided into the following 3 groups,
- 3.a – S-shaped defined curls, frizzy and has volume
- 3.b – Gap between the curls are shorter, well defined and coiled, frizz and volume
- 3.c – Defined springy smaller ring-shaped curls, dry, coarse, frizzy with much volume
Why the Type: 3 – Curly Hair Should Do the Deep Conditioning with a Hair Dryer?
Type: 3 – Curly hair will not dry evenly until you dry it with a hairdryer. So we will give you a method that deep conditions your hair with a salon standard healthy ionic hair dryer.
Unlike normal hair dryers, Ionic hair dryers emit ions and healthy heat making hair dry faster, evenly and safely. It also makes your curls bouncy, shiny, hydrated and healthier from within.
Thus we will apply a DIY deep conditioning crème and use this mild but powerful, hair dryer combined with a flexible bonnet soft-hooded component to create a therapeutic warmth and spa atmosphere so the deep conditioning is done within 40 minutes safely.
Should you deep condition overnight instead?
The overnight deep conditioning is not the smartest option and should be avoided by the Type: 3 – Curly hair.
Due to the coil shape of your hair and too much volume, the deep conditioning crème will most probably end up on your pillow rather than into your scalp late alone to the thirsty tresses.
Putting a towel around your head doesn’t effectively distribute the required heat uniformly for deep conditioning. Thus the product won’t deeply condition your hair moreover the product will be soaked by that towel itself!
That heavy towel will just keep you awake, tossing and turning, itching, giving you a headache. The oil spreading on your face from the towel may cause acne too!
So we suggest you save the precious sleeping hours and do deep conditioning effectively with an ionic hairdryer at home safely and quickly too!
The Cost-Effective Deep Conditioning Tools
Ionic hair dryer suitable for the Type: 3 – Curly hair+ soft bonnet soft-hooded component
Thus our experts suggest you attach the Hair Flair newest and up-to-date exclusive Soft-Bonnet Hair Dryer component with the Infiniti Pro hair dryer by Conair. Using these previously mentioned tools combined together, you can turn your overnight torture into a brief 40-minute episode of deep conditioning and relaxation.
The Infiniti Pro by Conair 1875 Watt Salon Performance AC Motor Hair Dryer is powerful to dry your hair 50% faster but gently. The Ionic technology assures 75% frizz free soft and silky hair. It comes with a volumizing diffuser and a concentrator for hair straightening without damage to the flat iron.
Hair Flair newest and up-to-date exclusive Soft-Bonnet is also the winner of NaturallyCurly Editors’ Choice 2015 for the best Styling Tool.
The soft bonnet circulates warm gentle air through more than 120 holes evenly so the deep conditioning crème can make a way into your hair follicles to nourish and hydrate your hair and scalp. You can straighten your hair with this blow dryer too!
Check below how you can straighten type: 3 – Curly Hair with the blow dryer toolkit we have suggested for you!
The Best DIY Deep conditioning Tool: Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Purple with White Bonnet Dryer,
This soft bonnet dryer emits negative ions that don’t harm your hair. It circulates hot hair creating an all over uniform sauna-like environment best for the deep conditioning spa treatment.
This bonnet hair dryer is chosen by the hair stylists around the world and editors of many hair styling magazines for the Type: 3 – Curly hair. Once your deeply nourishing DIY treatment is done too You can use any size of rollers to curl your hair with the Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer.
Essential Things For The Diy Deep Conditioning Treatment For The Type: 3 – Curly Hair
- A comb to tangle-free hair, Avoid fine-toothed comb
- A rat-tail comb for sectioning hair into smaller parts
- Hair products such as hair masks or hair packs
- Various kind of natural oils
- A little China-clay pot or a small Pyrex bowl
- A teaspoon for measuring and combining the products together
- Either (Infiniti Pro hair dryer by Conair + Hair Hair Flair newest and up-to-date exclusive Soft-Bonnet Hair Dryer component) or (Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer)
- Your favorite playlist of relaxing music
The products you will need to deep condition the type: 3 – Curly hair
The measurement of product recommended here is for the Curly hair with medium volume. Adjust your measurement by increasing or decreasing the products according to the length and volume of your hair.
This amount is enough for the Curly hair of medium thickness and of medium volume. Adjust your measurement by increasing or decreasing the amount of oil depending on your hair length and volume
- Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner By Arvazallia: 1 tsp – Replenish & revive dehydrated hair
- Coconut oil: 1 tsp – Provides nourishment and conditions
- Sweet Almond oil: 1 tsp – Replenish and revitalize the scalp and tresses
- Avocado oil- 01 tsp – Recover damages & split ends with proteins, vitamin A, B6, D, E & much more
- Olive mayonnaise- 1 tsp – Makes hair stronger stopping hair fall and boost up growth
- ArtNaturals Argan Oil Hair Mask: 1 or 2 tsp – Frizz free luxurious hair (Apply to detangle wet hair)
Note: here Tsp= teaspoon
- If the smell of coconut oil turns you off, you can replace it with the sweet almond oil
- Decrease 1 tsp into ½ tsp and increase 1 tsp into 1½tsp depending on the volume and length of hair
Note: Decrease or increase the amount of oil in this same ratio for more or lesser
The procedure of the DIY Deep Conditioning for the Type: 3 – Curly hair
After measuring take the oils in a small Pyrex bowl or ceramic pot. If the coconut oil is hard then put boiling underneath the pot to melt it. Practice caution and do not microwave the oil risking fire hazard or destroying the organic nutritious elements.
Mix in the olive mayonnaise and form a deeply nourishing creme. We will now use the suggested hair dryer with the soft-hooded component to distribute uniform heat on your head.
One Step at a Time: DIY Deep Conditioning Process Explained
Follow the following steps in the given order to achieve the best deep conditioning result for the Type: 3 – Curly Hair
- Wet your hair & use The Revitalizing Argan Oil Hair Mask to detangle hair easily without stressing
- Get rid of the tangles starting from the bottom, and work your way to the top slowly
- Make 3 big equal section on the top, middle and at the bottom too
- Use the pointed tail of the rat-tail comb and make 1-inch sections at the bottom
- Dip your fingers into the deep conditioning nourishing crème you prepared
- In a circular motion apply the nourishing crème all over the head going from the bottom to the top
- Straighten the coils with one hand & generously apply the nourishing crème with the other
- Do the middle and top section following exactly the same process as the bottom section
- Massage your head carefully with your fingers in a circular motion to increase the blood flow
- Massage the nourishing crème on the tresses and ends but do not rub vigorously
- Rake your fingers through a couple of times to detangle your hair again
- Comb your hair 40 times promoting the blood flow as well as distributing the crème uniformly
- Place the bonnet on your head firmly so the warm hair can’t escape but not too tightly
- Set the hair dryer on add-on lowest head turn it on
- As the hot air can’t escape from the bonnet, it is sufficient to use the low heat even for the thickest hair
- The hot & healthy air will travel through the openings of the bonnet making the crème saturate faster
- Now, set an alarm to ring after 40 minutes and close your eyes
- You can listen to soft music putting cucumber or tea bags over your eyelids
- However, avoid TV or TABs and phones to get the best result of the deep conditioning
- After 40 minutes wash hair with the shampoo we have recommended for the type: 3 – Curly hair
- Combine the conditioner & the conditioning mask on your palm and apply on the shampooed hair
- Wash with cold water after 20 minutes to lock the shine and the goodness of the conditioner
- Soak the water in the hair with a towel
- Sparing the roots apply jojoba oil to the tresses and dry hair using the hair dryer we have suggested specifically for your hair type.
You may use Xtava Ionic Blow Dryer Voluminous Toolkit + Hair Hair Flair newest and up-to-date exclusive Soft-Bonnet Hair Dryer component Soft-hooded component or Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer to form the types of curl you desire to flaunt.
Or you may use the Xtava Ionic Blow Dryer Voluminous Toolkit and a flat paddle brush to dry normally or straighten hair with a round brush.
Suggested products according to your hair type
|Product type||Product name||Product details|
Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner By Arvazallia
|Professional salon standard treatment for Curly hair. It rejuvenates increasing manageability and sheen.|
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
|Nourishing & a natural fungus killer. Free of Bleach, Hexanes and Trans Fats. Makes curly hair shiny and softer.|
|Sweet Almond oil|
NOW Sweet Almond Oil
|It’s the best source of the Vitamin E for the Curly hair. It’s not heavy and easily nourish the coiled natural hair.|
NOW Avocado Oil
|Best for the standard to the thickest curly hair. Refills the damaged hair, eliminating frizz and split ends.|
Africa’s Best Orig Hair Mayonnaise
|This hair mayonnaise is rich with olive oil, egg proteins, natural botanical herbal extracts, vitamins, to deep condition, thick curly hair.|
Xtava Ionic Blow Dryer Voluminous Toolkit
|Professional hair dryer with diffuser & concentration nozzle for 50% faster hair drying. Low to high heat and Variable speed settings suits all the types of curly hair and cut almost 80% time of deep conditioning.|
|Soft Bonnet Attachment|
Hair Flair New and Improved Deluxe Softhood Bonnet Hair Dryer Attachment
|Winner of the Best Styling Tool of ‘NaturallyCurly Editors' Choice Award 2015. Big enough to set rollers and stays firmly in place. Over 120 ventilation holes for faster and even heat distribution for deep conditioning.|
|Soft bonnet dryer|
Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer, Purple with White Bonnet
|Ionic soft bonnet dryer is perfect for the deep conditioning treatments. Hydrates scalp & uniformly delivers hot & healthy air increasing smoothness and shine for all types of curly hair.|
|Shampoo & Conditioner|
Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set (2 x 16 Oz)
Gentle on Natural/Kinky/Black/Afro & colored hair
|Sulfate and preservative free. Keratin infused rejuvenating Argan Oil shampoo cleanses curly hair without over-drying and conditioner absorbs into hair follicles, repairing and protecting it from the styling heat and the sun’s UV rays|
ArtNaturals Argan Oil Hair Mask
|Deep Conditioner, 100% Organic Jojoba, Aloe Vera and Keratin to repair Dry Curly hair|
|Before hair drying|
Jojoba Oil by Leven Rose
|Protects against heating tools, UV rays from the sun, and great for outside activity especially for the curly haired girls|
The Do’s and the Don’ts of Type: 3 – Curly hair
- Do deep conditioning before shampoo or at least weekly once
- Don’t shampoo daily and use Argan oil on dry hair to control frizz and dehydration
- Do deep conditioning in 40 minutes using a hairdryer with soft bonnet soft-hooded component for a spa effect
- Don’t let the burden of overnight deep conditioning cast dark circles under your eyes the next morning
- Do deep conditioning and wash hair using the shampoo selected by the experts to get the best result
- Don’t use the conditioner with silicone. Make sure the conditioner is parabens and sulfate-free too
Without regular deep conditioning and care Type: 3 – curly hair is very unruly and difficult to manage. Conditioning after shampoo or just using a leave-in conditioner is just not sufficient enough for the thirsty perched thick and dry hair.
But don’t make excuses anymore because now you have a 40 minutes only quick deep conditioning DIY regime for your thickest type: 3 – Curly hair! This DIY deep conditioning is bound to make people compliment your bouncy lively hair from the very first time!
- How To Deep Condition Straight Hair (Type: 1)
- How To Deep Condition Wavy Hair (Type: 2)
- How To Deep Condition Natural Hair (Type: 4)
- NATURALLY curly, Type 3: Curly Hair
- Amra, Type 3 hair 101: How to decode and understand your coils, 06 October 2017
- Rebecca Hull, The 7 best deep conditioning hair masks, February 5, 2016